From a friends website
Makes 24 bars
You will need:
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 oz. unsalted butter, melted & cooled to room temp.
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 10 oz caramel candy squares, unwrapped (OR i used caramel in a jar from Trader Joe’s)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons (approx.) sea salt for sprinkling over caramel & bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square pan, set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside
- Using an electric mixer, mix together the melted butter and sugars on medium speed until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine the caramels and heavy cream. Microwave in high until the caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds. This will take about 2 mins OR you can do this on the stove top melt caramels and heavy cream in a medium sized saucepan, stirring until melted OR you already have workable tinned caramel that you can heat up and mix with the heavy cream
- Press half the cookie dough into the prepared pan. Pour the hot caramel over the cookie dough and spread into an even layer, leaving some empty space around the edges. Sprinkle the caramel with half the sea salt. Drop the remaining cookie dough in spoonfuls over the caramel and gently spread the dough with a spatula until the caramel is covered. Sprinkle the bars with the rest of the sea salt.
- Bake cookie bars for 30 minutes or until the top of the bars are light golden brown and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Cool the bars on a wire rack to room temp. then refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow the caramel layer to set. DO NOT TRY TO CUT BEFORE THEY ARE COOL! Cut into squares and serve. Store leftovers (if there are any!) 😉 in an airtight container at room temp.