I got this recipe years ago out of the Washington Post. This is hands down, my most requested treat! This recipe makes 24 – 36 bars (depending on how big you cut them)
You will need:
- 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for greasing your baking dish
- 1/2 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar, plus more for finishing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (abt 2 large lemons)
- Set oven rack on the middle level and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and line it with over-sized, buttered parchment paper or aluminum foil
- With an electric mixer on medium speed , beat the butter. Add the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract and beat until light, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour.
- Pat the dough evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and baked through.
- While it’s baking, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs just enough to break them up. Without overmixing, add in the sugar, them the lemon zest and juice
- As soon as the base is baked, pour the lemon topping over it and return the baking dish to the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping is set and firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When completely cooled, remove by lifting the parchment paper or foil and transfer to a work surface.
- Cut into 2-inch squares. Just before serving, dust with confectioners sugar.
- They can be stored in an air-tight container at room temp for several days.