After spending a week in wonderful LA (the city of Lost Angels,) I decided something light, fluffly, in the shape of the sun, was going to be on the menu for Sunday. I picked up my fav cookbook (Cake Days, The Hummingbird Bakery) and away I went. I will say, in the US traditionally, Angel food cake is super light and fluffy (as I previously mentioned.) I’m not sure if it was the UK style or me (which could always be the case) but this recipe came out super dense. It was more like a pound cake consistency then a light, pillow-y consistency. Either way, twas quite delish!
YOU WILL NEED:
A bundt cake tin/pan! Greased & dusted w flour
6 oz. flour
10 egg whites
1 tsp cream or tartar
6 1/2 oz powdered sugar (plus extra for dusting top of cake)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 lbs. frsh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries-you pick!)
1. Preheat oven to 320 degrees & grease & dust w flour your tin/pan
2. In a large bowl w a hand-held mixer, whisk egg whites & cream of tartar until eggs whites form soft peaks (for me, this took a while!)
3. In a separate medium bowl, sift together the flour & powdered sugar and then fold into the egg white mixture, 3 tablespoons at a time, then fold in rest of remaining ingredients.
4. Pour the mixture into the tin/pan and smooth the surface w the back of a spoon. Place in oven and bake for approx. 50 mins or until the top of the cake is golden brown (and bounces back when lightly pressed.)
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for about 10-15 mins before turning it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. When fully cooled, decorate w powdered sugar and fresh berries. *Also, divine with fresh whipped cream!