One the best gifts I ever received was from my friend (and fellow baker) Davina who lives in Birmingham, England. I was drooling over a cookbook she received for Christmas and by chance, she had gotten two and gave me one. I absolutely adore The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and my goal is to make every treat in this book. So without further ado, the recipe for the delicious lemon & cranberry cupcakes…
For the cake, you will need:
3 oz unsalted butter, softened
10 oz sugar
8 1/2 oz plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
8 1/2 fl oz whole milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 oz dried cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line either a large 12-hole muffin tin or a small 24-hole muffin tin with paper liners
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, beat together the utter, sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest on a low-speed until they resemble breadcrumbs
- Place the milk, eggs, and vanilla in a jug and whisk y hand until combined. Pour three-quarters of this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together on a low speed. Increase speed to medium and keep mixing until smooth and thick. Scrape down the sides of the sides of the bowl, add the remaining milk mixture and continue to beat until all the ingredients have been mixed in and the batter is sooth once again. Stir in the dried cranberries by hand.
- Fill each muffin case up to two-thirds full with the batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cupcakes are risen and spring back when lightly pressed. Leave them in the tin to cool a little, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before adding frosting.
For the frosting, you will need:
1 lb, 2 oz confectioners sugar
5 1/2 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 fl oz whole milk
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
3 1/2 oz dried cranberries, chopped (optional)
- Using the electric mixer, whisk the confectioners sugar with the butter on a low speed until sandy-textured and no large lumps of butter remain. Gradually mix in the milk, then increase the speed to high and whisk until soft and light. Add the lemon zest and cranberries, f using, and continue o mix for another 30 seconds until combined.
- Divide the frosting between the cold cupcakes using a palette knife (or I used a butter knife) to smooth it on and make a swirl on top of each cake.
Pingback: New season kicks off perfectly! | Miz Stefani's House·